Q: What is a request for a variance?
A request for a variance is what a property owner seeks when strict compliance with the zoning ordinance such as application of setback, height, or area regulations would create an unnecessary hardship on the owner of a particular piece of property. There are strict rules that must be met to be considered for a variance.

Q: What are the rules to be considered for a variance?
To be considered for a variance, the Board of Adjustment must be assured that the hardship is not self-imposed; it is unique to the property (size, shape, topography of the lot or tract); it is not financial in nature; and does not simply preclude development for the "highest and best use" of the land.

Q: How do I request a variance?
Do the following to request a variance: Submit an Application for Variance along with the appropriate fee (nonrefundable) and a site plan of the lot showing all property lines as well as a depiction of the requested variance.

Q: How can I rezone my property?
In order to rezone a piece of property, please send a rezoning application to the Town of Zebulon Planning Department. Please include a property description form for each property included within the rezoning application packet. There is a non-refundable filing fee for a rezoning request, please consult the Zebulon Planning Department fee schedule for the filing fee cost.

Q: What is a non-conforming use?
A non-conformity is one that was in compliance with the ordinances originally, but when the ordinance was changed it became non-conforming.
A legal non-conforming use is one that was started or built before adoption of the regulation that now makes it non-conforming

Q: What is the Town of Zebulon Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ)?
The land up to one (1) mile beyond the current corporate limits.

Q: What are building setbacks?
Setbacks are required minimum distances between a building and the related front, side, exterior side, or rear property line. These distances determine how far construction must be set back from the property line.

Q: Where may I place a storage building on my lot?
Storage buildings are permitted in the back yard of a lot provided that they are detached and separated from the main building. For a complete list of regulations pertaining to accessory structures, contact the Town of Zebulon Planning Department at (919)269-7455.

Q: Who can I contact about high grass or other nuisances?
You can contact the Code Enforcement and Permitting Officer at (919)269-7455, extension 257 to report high grass or other nuisances.

Q: Who can I contact about zoning violations?
To report zoning violations, you can contact the Code Enforcement and Permitting Officer at (919)269-7455, extension 257.

Q: What are my setbacks?
Due to variable setbacks within the Town of Zebulon, it is best to contact Planning Staff at (919)269-7455 extension 257 to verify the setbacks on your property. You may also check the zoning of the property by accessing the Town of Zebulon Zoning Map.

Q: Who can I contact about the minimum housing code?
For minimum housing issues located within the Town of Zebulon corporate limits and Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) contact the Code Enforcement and Permitting Officer, at (919)269-7455, extension 257.

Q: Can I operate a business from my home? The Town of Zebulon Code of Ordinance has a provision for residents to operate a business from their home with the following conditions found in �152.143 HOME OCCUPATIONS. A non-exhaustive list of allowable occupations and uses expressly prohibited for home occupations can be provided by the Planning Department. You may obtain an application for a home occupation from the Planning Department or online.

Q: When is a building permit required?
No person shall locate, erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair or relocate any building, or change the type occupancy without first having obtained a permit for the specific work to be done. Building permits are not required for nonstructural work where no change of use occurs and costs less than $5,000, farm buildings outside the jurisdiction of any municipality, and residential accessory structures where no dimension exceeds 12 feet.

For a complete list of building permit applications, refer to http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/forms/

 Q: When is an electrical permit required?
An electrical permit for the specific work is required to install, alter, repair, replace or relocate any electrical material, appliances or equipment. For a complete list of building permit applications, refer to http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/forms/

Q: When is a plumbing, heating, air conditioning, or sprinkler permit required?
A plumbing or heating permit is required to install, replace or relocate any plumbing, heating, air-conditioning material, appliances or equipment. Plumbing permits shall not be required for minor repairs or replacements on the house side of a trap to an installed system of plumbing provided such repairs or replacements do not disrupt the original water supply or the waste or ventilation system. For a complete list of building permit applications, refer to http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/forms/

Q: What needs to be submitted with the building permit application?
For Manufactured Housing - http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/guides/manufacturedhousing.htm
For Residential Permits - http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/guides/newhome.htm
For Residential Accessory Structures - http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/guides/accessorystructures.htm
For Swimming Pools � http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/guides/pool.htm
For Commercial/Industrial Permits - http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/commercialplanschecklist.htm

Q: Who can answer my questions about residential, commercial, or industrial building codes?
Wake County Inspections, Development Plans, and Permits. For a complete list of the entire Wake County Building Inspectors staff directory, please refer to the following link:http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/contact.htm.

Q: How much is a permit going to cost me?
Wake County Building and Inspections charges all inspection fees. Wake County�s fees must be paid in full before any inspections will take place. For questions about these fees, please contact Wake County Building and Inspections at 919/856-6060.

Wake County Inspections and Development Fees

Town of Zebulon Planning Department Fees