News and Events
N. Arendell Avenue Access and Operational Improvements Project
Town of Zebulon has hired Volkert, Inc. and Summit Design and Engineering Services to design the following operational improvements to the Arendell Avenue corridor:
- Dual left turns from southbound Pearces Road onto eastbound Arendell Avenue
- Signal modifications to allow more time for left-turning vehicles
- 400' of additional lane on the south side of Arendell Avenue
- Construction of median for safer access movements
- New sidewalks along Arendell Avenue
- Roadway improvements on Jones Street, Hendricks Drive, and a new service road behind Eddins Oil
Public meetings will be held at the 25%, 65%, and 100% design phases. Dates, times, and locations of meetings will be posted here. If you have any questions regarding this project, please call Public Works at 919-269-5285 or Planning at 919-823-1810.
Town of Zebulon hired Volkert Engineering in November 2015 to conduct a street analysis of the Town's 19.39 miles of streets with an estimated value of $14 million. Volkert performed an in-depth evaluation of pavement management practices and made recommendations for improvement. The evaluation included a review of the pavement condition survey methodology, the strategy for selecting pavement treatments, and other noteworthy practices. The existing pavement condition is displayed on the map below.
Yates Place Stormwater Phase I Improvements
Improvements to the storm drainage system to Yates Place cul-de-sac are:
- Add three new catch basins in the cul-de-sac
- Parallel existing 24" Reinforced Concrete Pipe with an additional 24" RCP pipe to provide additional capacity
- Installation of a dry detention pond
The goal of these improvements is to eliminate flooding in the cul-de-sac. The contract was awarded to Step Construction in LaGrange, NC for $218,654.00. Notice to proceed was issued on January 14, 2016. Final completion is expected by June 4, 2016. Design and construction inspection is being provided by Green Engineering of Wilson, NC.
Composters For Sale
The Town of Zebulon has composters available for purchase. Composing allows decomposed materials to be reused as a nutritious supplement for your garden, lawn and house plants. Click here for details on purchasing a composter.
Stormwater Volunteers Needed
Look for "Mr. Drip" and upcoming opportunities to protect our stormwater system. Zebulon Public Works is seeking citizen volunteers to participate in Stormwater Management activities. Anyone wishing to volunteer for a citizens stormwater group may contact Zebulon Public Works at 919-269-5285.
If you have any questions concerning a news item or event, please contact Zebulon Public Works at (919) 269-5285.