The Administration Department is comprised of the Town Manager, Town Clerk and the Town Attorney. The Town of Zebulon is organized under the Council-Manager form of Government, pursuant to NCGS 160A-147. Under this structure the Town Board of Commissioners, which is elected by the citizens, sets policy and selects the Chief Administrative Officer, the Town Manager, the Town Clerk and Town Attorney.
In accordance with the Council-Manager form of government, the Town Manager’s duties include:
- supervising day to day operations of the Town;
- supervise the selection and dismissal of all town employees;
- prepare and submit the annual Town budget and capital program to the Board;
- recommend policies and programs to the Board to address community needs;
- attend all meetings of the Board of Commissioners;
- shall make any other reports that the Board may require
The Zebulon Town Manager is Rick Hardin. He was appointed in 1999 after having served ten years as the City Manager in Randleman, North Carolina. Prior to that he served as the Parks & Recreation Director for the City of Randleman for four years. Mr. Hardin is a 1984 graduate of Appalachian State University with Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degrees (BSBA) in both Management & Marketing, as well as a Bachelors of Science (BS) degree in Recreation.
The Town Clerk is Lisa Markland. She is a Certified Municipal Clerk (CMC), and her primary duties include:
- attendance at all Board meetings;
- preparation of agendas for Board meetings;
- preparation of minutes for the various Town Boards;
- preparation and publishing of Town ordinances, resolutions;
- custodian of records and legal documents pertaining to the Town;
- administration of oaths of office;
- maintenance of the Town web site;
- preparation and publishing of the Town newsletter;
- maintenance of the Personnel Policy.
Ms. Markland was hired in July 1998 and appointed as Town Clerk in January 1999. She has an Associate’s degree in Business Administration.
The Town Attorney is Eric Vernon. He is with the firm Wyrick Robbins Yates & Ponton, LLC. The Town Attorney attends all Board meetings and advises the Board on a full range of legal matters. Mr. Vernon is a member of the North Carolina Bar, and a graduate of Davidson College with his BA. He acquired his MBA and JD from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.