Parks and Recreation
To connect all people and the community through quality parks, facilities, and programs.
To create recreational and cultural opportunities that enhance quality of life and connect our residents through positive impacts on health and wellness, social interaction, economic growth, and environmental stewardship.
The Zebulon Parks and Recreation Department maintains and operates six public parks, a greenway, and a downtown pocket park within the Town Of Zebulon. These parks contain walking trails, walking loops, athletic facilities, playgrounds, picnic shelters, a disc golf course, tennis courts, outdoor basketball courts, and natural areas. Zebulon Parks and Recreation also manages the Zebulon Community Center which has a gymnasium, classrooms, exercise/ weight rooms, and an art room, all of which can be rented for family or business gatherings.
Our staff implements many exciting programs, activities, and events throughout the year with the purpose of bringing community members together to play, learn, and pursue healthy living.
The Town of Zebulon Comprehensive Parks and Recreation Master Plan is a long-range planning document that is meant to help shape the direction, development and delivery of the Town’s parks and recreation facilities. Based on a comprehensive planning approach, this plan considers previous planning documents, department goals, existing conditions, and assessment of needs to provide a framework for recommendations and prioritization strategies.
This Master Plan is a continuation of the diligent planning efforts undertaken by the Town, and seeks to build upon the existing framework and establish a roadmap for the future of Zebulon’s Park System. The foundation for this plan will be driven by the Town’s desire to improve the quality of life for Zebulon residents by providing excellent parks and community facilities and recreation opportunities for a diverse, growing population.
This project followed a linear process, building upon previous work that begins with an overview of existing parks and facilities, analysis of public needs and priorities, formation of a long range system-wide vision, and lastly, implementation priorities, funding strategies and policy recommendations.
Community involvement in this process was key to the development of an effective Master Plan. There was a variety of opportunities for the community to get involved. .
The Board of Commissioners adopted the Play Zebulon: Comprehensive Parks and Recreation Master Plan on September 13th, 2021 following recommended approval by the Zebulon Parks and Recreation Advisory Board.
The Town of Zebulon (Town) has partnered with Zebulon Downtown Arts Council (ZDAC) to create a mural in the Downtown Business Core with funding provided by the United Arts Council. Buildings located in the Downtown Core are encouraged to submit their location for consideration. For more information contact the Zebulon Parks and Recreation Department at (919) 823‐1814 or email@example.com. This form must be submitted by the property owner. Project organizers may follow up with additional questions. Once a site selection is made, a contractual agreement will be required between the property owner, the Town, and ZDAC.
The application deadline has been extended to February 1st, 2022.
Coronavirus / COVID-19 Warning & Disclaimer
Coronavirus, COVID-19 is an extremely contagious virus that spreads easily through person-to-person contact. It is believed that an individual can be in infected with COVID-19 without their knowledge and be asymptomatic. The Town of Zebulon cannot guarantee that the participant or anyone else will not become infected with COVID-19. Federal and state authorities recommend social distancing as a mean to prevent the spread of the virus. COVID-19 can lead to severe illness, personal injury, permanent disability, and death. Participating in Town of Zebulon programs or accessing Town of Zebulon facilities and equipment could increase the risk of contracting COVID-19. The Town of Zebulon in no way warrants that COVID-19 infection will not occur through participation in Town of Zebulon programs of accessing Town of Zebulon facilities and equipment.
For additional town updates related to Covid-19/Coronavirus.
A full refund of registration and participation fees and charges will be made for all programs, activities, and events cancelled or adjusted by the Zebulon Parks and Recreation Department. For all other situations where refunds may be requested, the following guidelines shall apply. The Director of Parks and Recreation will make decisions on all requests not specifically covered herein. No refunds will be made for any actiAthletic and Instructional Programs:
- If a participant requests a refund, in writing, 10 calendar days or more in advance of the first day of athletic league practice or tryout, or 10 calendar days or more in advance of the first meeting of an instructional program, a full refund, minus a $5 processing fee, will be issued.
- If a participant requests a refund, in writing less than 10 calendar days prior to tryouts or first practice for an athletic league, or less than 10 calendar days prior to the first meeting of an instructional program, a 75% refund minus $5 processing fee will be issued.
- For athletic programs, no refunds will be issued on or after the first regular season game of the affected league. For instructional programs, no refunds will be issued on the day of or after the first class meeting.
- Refunds of adult athletic programs that require “team” registration will be issued based on league policy and are not subject to #’s 1,2, and 3 above.
- Refunds will not be granted to participants dismissed from a program due to misconduct.
- For Youth Athletics and Instructional Programs, a full refund of all fees paid, less a $5 processing fee will be made if:
- Prior to the athletic league first practice or tryout, or first class meeting, a written excuse, from a licensed medical doctor, is provided indicating that the participant should not participate due to medical concerns or physical limitations.
- Prior to the athletic league first practice or tryout, or first class meeting, a written verification is provided that the participant has been included in either a Middle School, High School, or College program that prohibits participation in recreational programs.
- A full refund is granted for trips cancelled or adjusted.
- If a full refund is requested, in writing, prior to the registration deadline, a full refund minus a $5 processing fee, will be made.
- If a refund is requested, in writing, after the registration deadline, and 48 hours prior to trip departure, a 75% refund will be issued if the participant can be replaced from the waiting list.
- If 48 hours prior to the trip departure, a written excuse from a licensed medical doctor is provided, indicating that the participant should not participate due to medical concerns or physical limitations, a partial refund will be issued after deducting expenses incurred by the Town of Zebulon such a prepaid admission fees, tickets, deposits, and a $5 processing fee.
- Refunds will not be granted for requests made less than 48 hours prior to the trip departure, nor after the trip begins or is completed.
The Board of Commissioners adopted a Recreation Impact Fee Study on November 1st following a Joint Public Hearing on September 20th and a subsequent recommendation from the Zebulon Planning Board. The Board of Commissioners also adopted a fee schedule change effective January 1st, 2022 that will charge $3000 per single family dwelling units and $2500 for multi-family dwelling units as an Impact Fee to new development. This fee is intended to mitigate impacts on the park system due to growth from new development.
- 1 of 2
- next ›